Revolving discards are used at a defender's first opportunity to make a discard. A high spot card indicates suit preference for the next-higher available suit, while a low spot card indicates suit preference for the next-lower available suit. For example, when forced to make a discard while declarer is playing the diamond suit:
- A low spade is suit-preference for hearts, the next-lower suit.
- A high spade is suit-preference for clubs, the "next-higher" suit.
- A low heart is suit-preference for clubs. You "skip" diamonds since you don't have any!
- A high heart is suit-preference for spades.
- A low club is suit-preference for spades.
- A high club is suit-preference for hearts. Again, you "skip" the diamond suit.