Touching Escapes comprise an escape system for use after your side has opened 1NT and the opponents have doubled for penalty. After the double, responder bids as follows:
|Pass||Shows at least 4-4 in two non-touching suits (clubs and hearts, clubs and spades, diamonds and spades), or a hand worth a penalty redouble. Requires partner to XX.|
|XX||Shows a one-suited hand. Requires partner to bid 2.|
|2||Shows at least 4-4 in clubs and diamonds. Partner can pass or correct to diamonds.|
|2||Shows at least 4-4 in diamonds and hearts. Partner can pass or correct to hearts.|
|2||Shows at least 4-4 in hearts and spades. Partner can pass or correct to spades.|
1NT X Pass! Pass
- Pass shows a good hand that wants to play 1NT redoubled.
- 2 shows clubs and hearts or clubs and spades. If opener does not want to play in clubs, he can correct to 2, asking responder to pass with hearts or correct to 2.
- 2 shows diamonds and spades. Partner can correct to spades if he wants.
1NT X XX! Pass
- Pass shows at least five clubs.
- 2D shows at least five diamonds.
- 2H shows at least five hearts.
- 2S shows at least five spades. Note that responder has two ways of showing spades; by this route or by responding 2 immediately.
With 4-3-3-3 shape, responder can either treat his four-card suit as a five-card suit, or he can treat his four-card suit and his best 3-card suit as a two-suiter.